>>> Go to full article and related PowerPoint slides <<<Election-related worries may be why consumers’ confidence to spend declined in September.
• The decline comes on the heels of a rise in consumers that say they “worry more about political and national security issues,”.
• The spike in political worries coincides with a slowdown in retail sales and slippage in spending confidence.
• Overall, spending confidence declined in September to the most noticeable extent since May.
>>> Go to the full article <<<The Spending Confidence Index™ is a better measure because it is not hampered by the volatility found in traditional confidence measures. The new Index:
• Is especially relevant to business analysts and investors in the retail and consumer goods space.
• Leverages questions about consumer spending plans in 19 specific product categories from the monthly survey by Prosper Insights & Analytics™.
• Avoids ambiguous questions about “business conditions” as recommended by the latest research.